How To Design an Umbrella
If you are working on a custom umbrella project and you want to know how to design an umbrella, we have outlined the general steps for creating a design for a custom designed and manufactured umbrella below. While there are many more details we can discuss with you, and many more options we can consider, this is a good place to start the design process for your custom umbrellas.
- Start with a concept for the print of your umbrella. A sketch of the idea is fine. Whether a logo or a full-color image or photograph. The print for the umbrella will drive much of how we create your cost estimate, so this is important to start the design process. We can provide you with a template for your umbrella, but starting with a sketch is a great place to start. Review the links below for inspiration.
- Decide what type of frame you want for your umbrella. The frame is the structural part of the umbrella including the shaft, ribs and handle. Common frame sizes for our umbrellas:
- Compact Manual
- Compact Auto
- Full-size Standard
- Oversized Golf
- Decide if your print is on the exterior or interior of the umbrella. Not all frames are suitable for interior prints, and we can review that with you to be sure your frame will work for an interior print.
- Choose a fabric if you want a color fabric for your umbrella from our range of colored fabrics. See our umbrella fabric colors below. If you need a custom color fabric, call us to discuss.
- Call us to discuss the options, so that we can advise the differences in cost on the umbrella you are thinking about making.
- If you want to create the final layout based on your initial sketch, we can provide you with the correct template for laying out the final print artwork, or we can create your final layout for approval. If your artwork is complex, and you are not a designer, you may want us to create the final layouts so that the artwork will be accurate. If you are a designer, we can explain the details of how your artwork will be printed and how your umbrella will be constructed – so that you can create your final layout. Generally, we include the cost of the layout of your umbrella in the process of creating your umbrella. Since not everyone designs umbrellas every day – – we expect to help you in the final stages of the layout.
- Final artwork for the umbrella print should be provided in Illustrator or Photoshop. If your final artwork is a logo or a graphic image, it is always cleanest if provided in Illustrator format. We also recommend using Pantone® colors to match any print colors, so we can be sure what you design will translate onto your umbrellas.
If you are not sure how to design an umbrella, feel free to ask us for help. Our design and production team can answer your questions, right away or if you prefer, we can design your umbrella.
Email us your artwork or call to to get started on your custom umbrella design: 212-477-9373